Archive for the ‘Vitamin K’ Category

Stay Soft

Wednesday, June 17th, 2015

As we age our soft tissues harden because of calcium infiltration. This process is a major contributor to degenerative disease.

Studies show that continued use of warfarin increases arterial calcification.

A report by the American Heart Association:
“Most individuals aged over 60 years have progressively enlarging deposits of calcium mineral in their major arteries. This vascular calcification reduces aortic and arterial elastane, which impairs cardiovascular hemodynamics, resulting in substantial morbidity and mortality in the form of hypertension, aortic stenosis, cardiac hypertrophy, myocardial and lower-limb ischemia, congestive heart failure, and compromised structural integrity.”

With the proper use of vitamin K you can protect your soft tissues against calcification. Learn more at Life Extension, July 2015

Greater Vitamin K Intake/Lower Diabetes Risk

Friday, September 10th, 2010

The journal of Diabetes Care found an association between the intake of both phylloquinone (vitamin K1) and menaquinones (vitamins K2) with a lower risk of developing type 2 diabetes.

Researchers at University Medical Center Utrecht analyzed data from 38,094 Dutch participants in the EPIC study cohort over a median time of 10.3 years. Those men and women who were in the top 25% of vitamin K1 intake had a 19% lower risk of developing diabetes.

Greater consumption of vitamin K2 also showed improved blood lipids and reduced levels of C-reactive protein, a marker of inflammation.

Life Extension, August 2010, p.19

Eat Your Greens

Monday, November 30th, 2009

A new study found that eating spinach, swiss chard, and other greens (full of vitamin K) – helped strengthen bones and prevent heart disease.

Dr. Weil’s Self Healing Newsletter, November 2009

Vitamin Insufficiency

Wednesday, September 23rd, 2009

A new analysis of data from 100s of published articles dating back as far as the 1970s suggests that current recommendations for vitamin K intakes need to be increased to ensure optimal health.

Insufficient amounts of vitamin K may lead to cardiovascular disease and possibly cancer.

Published in the October 2009 issue of the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.

Read the whole story in www.nutraingredients-use.com, September 18, 2009

More on Vitamin K

Friday, December 19th, 2008

Dr. Andrew Weil brings more light on this neglected nutrient.

This group of fat-soluble compounds has many benefits from strengthening bones and improving cardiovascular health to decreasing cancer risk.

There are two main forms of vitamin K. Phylloquinone, or vitamin K-1, is produced by plants and makes up 90 percent of the vitamin K we get from foods such as cauliflower, parsley, kiwifruit, avocados, olives, Brussels spouts, broccoli, and dark leafy greens. The other 10 percent comes from a group of menaquinones, called vitamin K-2, which comes from bacteria in the gastrointestinal tract converting K-1 to K-2. Some foods that have K-2 are some meat products, egg yolks, fermented dairy and fermented soy.

Both a Japanese study and a Toronto study showed fewer fractions with vitamin K, and the Canadian scientists noted lower cases of cancer. A German study of 11,319 men found a 35 percent reduced risk of prostate cancer. A Dutch study of about 4,600 volunteers showed a 50 percent less chance of plaque buildup and a lower risk for heart disease.

Vitamin K-2 is less likely to be destroyed by blood thinners, antibiotics, and drugs used to lower cholesterol.

For the complete story go to Dr. Andrew Weil’s Self Healing newsletter, December 2008.

Vitamin K

Monday, December 15th, 2008

Vitamin K promotes blood clotting. My doctor recommended K for my minor surgery in 1960.

In the 1930s, Danish researchers noted that baby chicks fed a fat-free diet developed bleeding problems. They finally solved this problem with an alfalfa-based compound that they named vitamin K.

Today scientists know that the bulk of the body’s vitamin K needs are met by bacteria in the intestines, and only about 20 percent comes from foods.

Vitamin K sets in motion the blood-clotting process when there is a wound. Without it we may bleed to death.

Too little is usually found with those people who have liver disease or intestinal illnesses that interfere with fat absorption. Too much is only dangerous if you’re taking anticoagulants. Otherwise there seems to be no danger.

Leafy green vegetables are rich in vitamin K. Broccoli, spring onions, and brussels sprouts are also good.